In the morning of Sept 3rd, the flight I was on landed in
Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I got my tourist visa at the visa application counter,
went through the customs and then was met by Sister Rasmey holding a sign with
my name written on it which clearly read “Juhee”. Handing me a welcoming drink,
that is, a bottle of cold water, Rasmey said “Welcome to Phnom Penh, Sister.”
As we waited for a couple of minutes outside the airport, a Tuk Tuk that was
driven by Bro. Tut came and picked us up. When he took us to BEC safely, I was
welcomed so warmly by the fieldworkers from New Zealand (Auntie Jackie and Bro.
Zack) and BEC staff members. I guess I was still in a daze at the time. I didn’t
know what to expect here and was feeling quite nervous at the same time. It took
me a few days to get over the nervousness. Preaching the Gospel in a foreign
country was a completely new challenge to me. Although I organized and
translated Bible seminars in Busan where we used to have a BEC mission flat and
Bible seminars on Saturdays for four years, it did and still does make me
nervous to give lessons on the Bible and teach English to the people from a
foreign culture.
Whether I was ready or not and nervous or not, I was put
into classes the same day I arrived in Phnom Penh, which, thankfully, seems to
have worked all right after all. After being at BEC for a few days, I got used
to this new environment and came to enjoy my stay here. I believe that it was
possible because I share something very important in common with the Brethren
and Sisters over here, that is, the hope of the Kingdom. I am so thrilled that
there are so many young and enthusiastic brethren and sisters who have accepted
the Truth and absolutely love it. It is such a wonderful experience to see
Truth thriving in Cambodia. I must admit that I was quite let down when the
Bible seminars in Busan didn't achieve much at all and we had to close the
Mission flat and the seminars. Affluence generally seems to breed a love and pursuit
of too much –whether it is doing things or getting things. In Korea like most
of advanced economies in the world, life is “full” with no time for much apart
from self. However, it is not like that in Cambodia. People appreciate
everything that is provided for them including the Bible lessons, and are content
with whatever is given to them. A majority of those who come to the Bible classes
are genuine and, most importantly, willing to listen to God’s word. They are
happy to hear about God and Jesus and the plan God has for us. Cambodia might have
been left a bit behind other countries due to the dark period it went through
in the past. But I think, because of the sad history, people in Cambodia are
much closer to the Kingdom than people in any other country in the world. I hope
and pray to God that the world-wide love and pursuit of affluence won’t affect
this country.
I am very thankful to
God for allowing me to come here and preach the Gospel. I also thank Khmer
staff at BEC for looking after me so well and liking my Kimchi. May God bless
Cambodia and Brethren and Sisters in this country.Sis Juhee from South Korea




Comments
Jonno and Ren