Skip to main content

First experience in Cambodia

I arrived in Phnom Penh on Sunday 2nd June and was immediately impressed by the heat and humidity having just left a South Australian winter! I was met by Sis Nirath and taken to the PP BEC where I quickly settled into a regular teaching routine with an early morning, afternoon and evening session most days (depending on attendance). I also had several day trips to visit such local attractions as the Toul Sleng S-21 prison and Choeung Ek Killing field from Pol Pot’s era, the national museum and the royal palace which were all quite interesting to me.
On the 5th Sis Trudy arrived and Sis Nirath and I met her at the airport so that she was greeted by familiar faces. After Trudy arrived the three of us took a boat trip down the Mekong river at night time to see the lights and experience the cool breeze, which was quite pleasant. A few days later after some intensive teaching by Sis Trudy; Sis Trudy, Sis Nirath and I departed for BEC2 in Sihanoukville and were unfortunate to come across some oppressively hot days in the build up to a number of days of storms, this made sleeping quite difficult. I was also unfortunate to lose my phone in my first few hours there (possibly taken from next to me where I was sitting), after we had kindly been taken to the beach by the local brothers and sisters for dinner, after our late arrival. Over the next couple of days we swam at Ochheuteal beach, had a trip to see the beautiful Kbal Chhay waterfall, went to Otres beach (where I had a hamburger and chips) and finally a visit to the Snake House restaurant to see the snakes, birds and crocodiles they keep there.
We next moved on to Seim Reap, travelling overnight by the misleadingly named ‘sleeper’ bus, met Sis Loy’s cousin Sien, who was to be our taxi driver while there, checked into a hotel and immediately went out to buy our three day pass for the Angkor Temple Complex. We managed to visit four temples that first day, but found Angkor Wat to be oppressively hot due to all the stone radiating the heat. That day was the first and only time I was sunburnt, which I was surprised but pleased about. Over the next two days we visited many more temples, but the storms rolled in and we were unfortunately unable to see the sunset at Phnom Bakheng or the sunrise at Angkor Wat the next morning, even though we got up early especially to see it. The benefit of the storms was that things were a bit cooler after that, so we were able to meet this with equanimity. Our trip up to Phnom Bakheng also included a ride on an elephant, which was a first for both Sis Nirath and myself and truthfully I did not find it very comfortable. We were also able to visit a butterfly farm, the floating village on lake Tonle Sap and managed to squeeze in a visit to Artisans Angkor to see how the local craftsmen hand make/paint all the statues, carvings, silverwork, silk paintings etc that they produce in Cambodia. The floating village was only reachable by boat and since we were getting on so well with the boat driver and his friend he allowed me to drive the boat on the way back. Unfortunately, due to lack of experience I managed to run aground in the shallow channel :-p, but this turned out to be easily fixed as we simply pushed the boat back into the deeper section and continued on our way.
Our return to PP was by a very swift van, whose driver had tremendous traffic dodging skills and we arrived at the BEC in time for dinner. After a sleep in, I was greeted with the news that I had to prepare a talk for that nights Outreach session, so I immediately got to work on the topic, interrupted only by a few games of Badminton, (which in the Cambodian heat is very strenuous exercise) and a fruitless search for a particular model phone with Bro Vitou to replace the one I lost. Even though we couldn’t find the phone it was still a lot of fun to experience the peak hour traffic with its many jams and the flooded main roads during a downpour. The flooding was causing several motos to conk out and needing to be pushed, but fortunately Bro Vitou’s is a good one and did not have any trouble.
My general impressions of the people here are that that they are very friendly, but in Siem Reap we had a lot of trouble with people, sometimes small children trying very hard to sell us something and we found the prices in Siem Reap greatly inflated compared to the rest of the country.  The food has generally been very good, but there are some things I did not enjoy such as Durian and I refused to eat crickets when we passed through Kampong Thom! Travel is also very interesting here, but I was not too surprised having seen the same style in other places, the only differences in Cambodia are that people travelling on the wrong side of the road seem to have right of way and while most people have a moto (essentially a 110 cc Honda scooter), there are quite a few people driving around in Lexus SUVs which cost quite a lot.

Teaching the Outreach students about spiritual marriage.

Bro Aaron



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe I'm just a girl

Well, dear Readers, Things have been busy here with preparation for our seminar this weekend. Catering, printing, emailing and phoning have been occupying our hours. James is sitting opposite me on the table working on his talks for Friday. We have had quite a number of bookings for our seminar and the numbers have only been limited by the size of our premises. God willing, all will attend and we’ll have a good two days of talks and chatting. We’re planning, God willing, a boat cruise as our social activity and that should be a blast since we can have a 2 hour cruise for 50 people for only $20. Have managed to hook up skype credit and tested a mobile call to Prydie. The 5 second lag meant it was like having two random monologues in the same room. The prices was fairly reasonable, but even as 3 cents a minute the cost climbs. James spends much time out on the balcony. He gets good wireless reception. It's quite a amusing to peek through the window and see James out on the balcony wa...
*hammok place over the mekong *me and gab cruzing the streets *us feastin on the food * jonno swar and sammie *lcdi students planting vegies at the lcdi garden we built for them *lcdi bikers planting dinner at the dorms - amazing feast - beaf lukluk and vermici noodles - yummy *helen and gary on way back to airport *rosie,samie and kylie at seinookville, watching sunset baptised dinner nicht at bec *dude sitting on rock * what do they get up to in cambodia seinookvile we went out to lcdi as sarah vogal is leaving back to nz after a 4 month stint in cambodia and 13months overseas doing mission work (good work sarah, we'll miss you), and lcdi did a special talent night for her when we got there there was a table with flowers all over it and chairs for us - it was so nice we had dudes being throw in the air doing backflips and traditional dancing and a fasion show which was diabolical (if thats a work ill use it, but i dont know what it means but it sound the right word to p...

God Proves the Power of Prayer Again and Again

Over the course of my five-month long Cambodia trip I had the opportunity to teach class es at the Bethezer girl dorm regularly . For th ese class es I have a translator so I just get to teach the good news ( none of this dilly-dallying about English teaching ). Our topic on this particular night was prayer. Philippians 4:6 reminded us that God is longing to hear from us just as a father lo ves to hear from his child or how we are just hanging out to get a message from someone we love. We looked at H is promises to answer ALL our prayers while we abide in Jesus Christ (John 15:7) and at Psalm 34:4 where God confidently affirms that when you find your happiness with God, H e will certainly give you more of what makes you happy (Him!). And you can pray for that happiness because God will give you anything that brings you closer to Him so never be afraid to ask! That is nothing but i ncredibly good news ! We raced through many more quotes and I had expected to strug...