The past week has undoubtedly passed swiftly. With a busy schedule comprising of dorm services at 5.30am three times a week plus group lessons, individual lessons, morning lessons, afternoon lessons, concurrent lessons in different rooms, English lessons, Bible lessons, keyboard lessons, Cambodian lessons.... I have had a lot to learn. There has certainly been a lot to adjust to as well, Steve’s humour being one of them. Add to that the vast number of young people I have been meeting, all with names seemingly designed to confuse me, and you would think I would have taken to my bed with a headache. Nothing, however, could be further from the truth. The enthusiasm so many of these people display for not just learning about the Bible, but talking about it together has to be seen to be believed. It is so refreshing to be teaching the Bible to people receptive to it and full of questions that show they are not only listening and understanding, but thinking for themselves.Contrary to the picture I have just painted, we do have some spare time
and yesterday we utilised it in a most agreeable fashion. After the Worship Service any boys willing to, were invited to stay back at the BEC and replace the mosquito screens for us. It sounds like a reasonably easy task, but since the windows they were replacing the gauze netting on are about 15 ft high it was a slightly more difficult job. While I didn’t ascend the ladder, I did have fun chivvying along Vitou, Vanny, K and Veasna as they wobbled on a stack of plastic chairs, dusting windowsills and taping on the netting. A few hours later, following a delicious banquet cooked by Gaye, we headed off to reward the boys with a session of rollerblading. This was so much fun – and I’m sure quite amusing to watch as well. I was certainly amused as I watched Vanny blade past, raising his arms in a “check out the champion rollerblader” stance, before crashing straight into the wall. The proverb “pride comes before a fall” sprang to mind. Loy did pretty well for herself, however she has been left with several large bruises on her knees. K was a bit less of an amateur, surpassing us all by twirling in circles, racing past those of us content to just glide along. All in all it was a fantastic night – not just because we were having so much fun, but because it gave me a chance to get to know my brothers even better. Showing joy in our lives is such an important part of preaching the truth. Truly, God has blessed us richly.Sarah
Comments