Skip to main content

BEC Sihanoukville-Bro Jon sharing experience!

I arrived in Cambodia at about 4pm on Monday 13th April; Vitou met me at the airport and we rode a tuk tuk back to the BEC. On the way there he advised me that it was Khmer New Year in Cambodia, so I was unsure about when the teaching would actually start. As the week progressed I learned that the school would be closed until Tuesday 21st April, therefore I was at the school by myself for most of the week. I feel that had I been aware of this holiday I would have arrived a week later, and stayed a week longer as well, but I tried to use the time wisely by reading the available literature at the BEC and also learning about Cambodia's history by visiting the Killing Fields and the Genocide Museum. There are a number of national holidays celebrated in Cambodia every year, so maybe the school calendar could be placed on the ACBM website in order for fieldworkers to choose suitable dates to arrive. Many students had actually been in Thailand for a Bible week, so when they arrived back at the BEC on Sunday 19th April it was like a completely different place, full of life and wonderful for us to attend the memorial meeting together.

 On the Sunday, Vitou informed me that I would be more needed at the BEC in Sihanoukville, so I agreed to travel there on Monday 20th April with Savy. We had a 6 hour bus journey and arrived in the early evening at BEC2; it's a much calmer town than Phnom Penh and I was looking forward to getting started. Sister Theung showed me the teaching plan for the week, I had 5 lessons the next day between 9am and 6:30pm so I was glad to be busy. As the week progressed, there were two extra new students as well so it was nice to see that people were arriving all the time. There were sometimes gaps between lessons of a couple of hours, so I decided to always be 'on site' in case there were any new students who arrived or people who wanted to ask about the school. Savy took me out for a coffee on the Friday night as I hadn't been away from the BEC by that point. It's good that the school works based on the times that the students can make rather than on set lesson times, this means we can teach as many as possible and work around their schedules. About half the lessons were with one student only, but this is also useful when helping that person to understand.

 I found the preaching toolkit book to be extremely useful. Having the second half of the book written in Khymer helped a lot too as I could make sure that the students understood the points being made. The lessons are straightforward and easy to teach, and although sometimes it's difficult to follow the layout of the page the basic lessons to be learned are clear. I learned a lot myself as well! The students have differing levels of English so smaller class sizes are useful in that respect; I spoke too quickly at the beginning so I learned to slow down and use more simple words as well. The outreach students at the weekend use a different book, the Preparation for the Kingdom, and this takes on more of a 'story' format than the weekday lessons. I found that this required different skills in order to keep students interested as the lessons were two hours, so sharing reading and keeping them involved was necessary. This book is aimed at a younger age group but seems to have more complicated words so the dictionary was used a lot and also the white board is invaluable for drawing the story as it progresses.

I wanted to teach at the BEC in order to practice teaching the word of God and also to have more confidence and to grow as a Christian. I found that these requirements were being fulfilled right from the first day. To be able to talk boldly about Jesus Christ was both exhilarating and also exciting, especially when we were encountering students who hadn't even opened a Bible before. The presence of any native English teacher is attractive to local people and each student should be viewed and treated in the right way, as a potential future baptised brother. The fieldworker guide warns that we should be ready for all kinds of questions from students, and this is certainly the case, especially as they grow in confidence over the weeks. Having not had any experience of Christianity before, it is easier to teach the students non-trinitarian issues from the beginning rather than have to change their thinking from previous experiences.

I think that both Bro. Savy and Sis. Theung do a great job in running the BEC. As the only baptised brother, Savy has all the jobs that we normally share around at home in Bath, so I was happy to exhort for the three weeks I was staying with them. Savy is a dedicated man who enjoys the environment of the BEC and is prayerfully growing the ecclesia by allowing them to spend time together socially as well as during worship.  He organises for them to go roller skating for example as an activity where they can all be together. As the months have passed and each one gets baptised, it makes the family stronger and Savy is like the father figure to them all. Sister Theung also manages to combine the administrative duties at the BEC with bringing up a young son and looking after the Sunday school children. Together they work as a team to run the BEC in a way that allows as many students as possible to just arrive whenever they want and to learn about God. It's a shame that there isn't always an English teacher available at the school because the potential seems to be very great in Sihanoukville.

Savy also brings students together at mealtimes, and also at the Bible study evening which is held once a week. It's a good chance for us to get together to read and to discuss certain passages in the Bible. Students can ask questions to help their understanding. At the weekends the outreach students arrive; they have a two hour lesson in the afternoon, then a seminar in the evening which usually included a film for them to watch. We all eat together as well which gives us a chance to talk. The students seem to enjoy being at the BEC together and seem to grow in confidence during lessons. The Sunday school takes place at the same time as the morning lesson so we go upstairs onto the veranda of the school, it's great to have that area available and sometimes there is a noisy background to the class with the children below but the students manage to concentrate well.

In summary, the school is run very well and there is a strong sense of community being nurtured there. I felt that I was part of a family the whole time I was there, not just with Savy and Theung but with all the students there. I would very much enjoy going to Sihanoukvile again having had a very positive experience there and will be prayerfully examining my circumstances in the UK to allow that to happen when possible. The potential in the area seems to be very great and God willing will continue to bear fruit in the future. The BEC is less noisy than the one at Phnom Penh but is a good place to study quietly and a focal point for members of the community to be together as a group. Regular students would arrive early just to spend time there and I've spoken to some who are happiest when they are at the BEC. God willing the BEC will continue to grow for many years.


 Bro Jon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe I'm just a girl

Well, dear Readers, Things have been busy here with preparation for our seminar this weekend. Catering, printing, emailing and phoning have been occupying our hours. James is sitting opposite me on the table working on his talks for Friday. We have had quite a number of bookings for our seminar and the numbers have only been limited by the size of our premises. God willing, all will attend and we’ll have a good two days of talks and chatting. We’re planning, God willing, a boat cruise as our social activity and that should be a blast since we can have a 2 hour cruise for 50 people for only $20. Have managed to hook up skype credit and tested a mobile call to Prydie. The 5 second lag meant it was like having two random monologues in the same room. The prices was fairly reasonable, but even as 3 cents a minute the cost climbs. James spends much time out on the balcony. He gets good wireless reception. It's quite a amusing to peek through the window and see James out on the balcony wa...
*hammok place over the mekong *me and gab cruzing the streets *us feastin on the food * jonno swar and sammie *lcdi students planting vegies at the lcdi garden we built for them *lcdi bikers planting dinner at the dorms - amazing feast - beaf lukluk and vermici noodles - yummy *helen and gary on way back to airport *rosie,samie and kylie at seinookville, watching sunset baptised dinner nicht at bec *dude sitting on rock * what do they get up to in cambodia seinookvile we went out to lcdi as sarah vogal is leaving back to nz after a 4 month stint in cambodia and 13months overseas doing mission work (good work sarah, we'll miss you), and lcdi did a special talent night for her when we got there there was a table with flowers all over it and chairs for us - it was so nice we had dudes being throw in the air doing backflips and traditional dancing and a fasion show which was diabolical (if thats a work ill use it, but i dont know what it means but it sound the right word to p...

God Proves the Power of Prayer Again and Again

Over the course of my five-month long Cambodia trip I had the opportunity to teach class es at the Bethezer girl dorm regularly . For th ese class es I have a translator so I just get to teach the good news ( none of this dilly-dallying about English teaching ). Our topic on this particular night was prayer. Philippians 4:6 reminded us that God is longing to hear from us just as a father lo ves to hear from his child or how we are just hanging out to get a message from someone we love. We looked at H is promises to answer ALL our prayers while we abide in Jesus Christ (John 15:7) and at Psalm 34:4 where God confidently affirms that when you find your happiness with God, H e will certainly give you more of what makes you happy (Him!). And you can pray for that happiness because God will give you anything that brings you closer to Him so never be afraid to ask! That is nothing but i ncredibly good news ! We raced through many more quotes and I had expected to strug...