Skip to main content

3 Days in Siem Reap


4am Monday morning, 11 tired faces piled onto a bus ready to drive 7hrs to Seim Reap!
Bong Thom, Jarra, Loy, Saory, Navy, James, Josh, Sokhorn, Sotcheat, Samedy, and me!
I must have been really sleepy because the bus trip didn’t drag at all, everyone found a place to lie down, and some of us even slept on the floor of the bus on a few pillows! We would all get random burst of over tired energy, and then sleep again until we got to our destination.

Flooded Seim Reap!!
Possibly one of the funnest places I’ve visited, although the boys have noticed, every food, day, place, meal and restaurant here is my favorite.

When we got there the water was covering the streets about a foot deep, sometimes knee deep over most of Seim reep. But businesses, traffic, tuk tuks and moto's kept going like normal. Most shops had sandbags out the front and were built up higher than the road.

One of my favorite memories was when Sokhorn, James and I waded down the street, we saw a huge crowd of maybe 100 people hanging out near a flooded roundabout. They were going crazy splashing people going past, we joined in on the fun!  Someone would walk past and everyone would chase them down the street, splashing and laughing at them. At one stage they yelled out ‘barang’ (white person) and I got chased and covered in water!! I sat down on the edge of the road and a little boy came and sat himself on my lap to chat away to me in his vague English!

On the way back I saw a little boy floating in a small tin tub, pulled along by his brother… cute. Jame and I joined in when we saw them using a road bridge as a platform to jump off; jame floated all the way down to the next bridge in the river and then tried to climb up but a policeman told him he wasn’t allowed to even though he was being dragged under by the strong current in the water, he had to swim under the bridge and come up the other side!! 

The temples were incredible, your imagination is blown away by what was and could have been. Our guide ‘Buntin’ knew so much about the architecture and religious background, he cracked lame jokes that made us laugh (mostly crude) and joined in the fun, eating and hanging out with us. Bong Thom (Steve) added a little Bible background to every story and belief Buntin had. It made Solomon’s temple and the book of kings come alive a little more. Jarra and I wondered if Buddha was in fact Solomon. 

We visited this amazing waterfall in the mountains that we went swimming in, there were rocks everywhere, water crashing and spraying your face. The current was super strong; we somehow explored behind the waterfall, on these slippery mossy rocks, and got rescued various times from the rapids. 

I’m running out of time but in those three days I saw glow flies, thought Jarah was going to die, bartered until I didn’t care anymore, payed to go to a filthy toilet, saw endless amazing carvings and temples with trees growing out of them, made friends, learnt about yoni and linga architecture, ate and drank, danced and sang, learnt and shared.

Today I’m leaving kampuchea, I feel like I’m leaving my home! A big hug to all my friends I’ve only known for one month. I will miss you and never forget your beautiful way of life or the lessons you have taught me.


Much love and prayers
Sarah, Jame, Jarra and Josh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe I'm just a girl

Well, dear Readers, Things have been busy here with preparation for our seminar this weekend. Catering, printing, emailing and phoning have been occupying our hours. James is sitting opposite me on the table working on his talks for Friday. We have had quite a number of bookings for our seminar and the numbers have only been limited by the size of our premises. God willing, all will attend and we’ll have a good two days of talks and chatting. We’re planning, God willing, a boat cruise as our social activity and that should be a blast since we can have a 2 hour cruise for 50 people for only $20. Have managed to hook up skype credit and tested a mobile call to Prydie. The 5 second lag meant it was like having two random monologues in the same room. The prices was fairly reasonable, but even as 3 cents a minute the cost climbs. James spends much time out on the balcony. He gets good wireless reception. It's quite a amusing to peek through the window and see James out on the balcony wa...
*hammok place over the mekong *me and gab cruzing the streets *us feastin on the food * jonno swar and sammie *lcdi students planting vegies at the lcdi garden we built for them *lcdi bikers planting dinner at the dorms - amazing feast - beaf lukluk and vermici noodles - yummy *helen and gary on way back to airport *rosie,samie and kylie at seinookville, watching sunset baptised dinner nicht at bec *dude sitting on rock * what do they get up to in cambodia seinookvile we went out to lcdi as sarah vogal is leaving back to nz after a 4 month stint in cambodia and 13months overseas doing mission work (good work sarah, we'll miss you), and lcdi did a special talent night for her when we got there there was a table with flowers all over it and chairs for us - it was so nice we had dudes being throw in the air doing backflips and traditional dancing and a fasion show which was diabolical (if thats a work ill use it, but i dont know what it means but it sound the right word to p...

God Proves the Power of Prayer Again and Again

Over the course of my five-month long Cambodia trip I had the opportunity to teach class es at the Bethezer girl dorm regularly . For th ese class es I have a translator so I just get to teach the good news ( none of this dilly-dallying about English teaching ). Our topic on this particular night was prayer. Philippians 4:6 reminded us that God is longing to hear from us just as a father lo ves to hear from his child or how we are just hanging out to get a message from someone we love. We looked at H is promises to answer ALL our prayers while we abide in Jesus Christ (John 15:7) and at Psalm 34:4 where God confidently affirms that when you find your happiness with God, H e will certainly give you more of what makes you happy (Him!). And you can pray for that happiness because God will give you anything that brings you closer to Him so never be afraid to ask! That is nothing but i ncredibly good news ! We raced through many more quotes and I had expected to strug...