
The people and experiences of Cambodia have been an absolute treat throughout the past month. Thanks to God’s grace, I have been living in Cambodia teaching English through the Bible at the BEC (Bible Education Centre) as well as teaching English to individual students and at a rural school (LCDI).
I have learnt so much from the people, especially considering their horrific recent history during the Khmer Rouge. Their happiness, openness, friendliness and spirituality are mind blowing. Their sense of humour is always enjoyable, especially when ‘lost in translation’.
Most of our mornings start at 5:30am where we present a service at the dorms (which the ACBM funds) at 6am, after which they begin their day at work/school/university. Studies from comprehensive leaflets are then held at the BEC at 9am and 2pm. Individuals or small groups have separate English lessons or English lessons through the Bible throughout other times of the day. Three times a week we visit LCDI (Leadership and Character Development Institute) to teach English and once a week we show a movie with English subtitles to help improve their listening and reading skills. The welcome we receive whenever we visit there always astounds me; the respect they give us is mind blowing! At other times during the week, we may pay several visits to the boys or girls dorm to help with their university work, chat, play sport or teach them songs.
I had a new student today who is currently in his third and final year at university, studying English. We began to work on the ‘Bible’ leaflet and he cottoned on immediately. Each time I explained a sentence, he repeated it in his own words, so I was reassured that he did understand! He had travelled 1 ½ hours on his bicycle to spend just an hour at the BEC. It was his first experience of using the Bible, and yet he took it completely in his stride. It was so special to see the sparkle in his eye as we talked about God’s truth. It is so satisfying teaching God’s word to people who have such enthusiasm for Him, Christ and our amazing hope. Each day is an exciting adventure, and as I step out onto the buzzing streets of Phnom Penh, I can feel Christ working everywhere, as we all prepare for his soon return. God is so good and I I pray we will each take the opportunities that God gives us to share His message.
Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!
Most of our mornings start at 5:30am where we present a service at the dorms (which the ACBM funds) at 6am, after which they begin their day at work/school/university. Studies from comprehensive leaflets are then held at the BEC at 9am and 2pm. Individuals or small groups have separate English lessons or English lessons through the Bible throughout other times of the day. Three times a week we visit LCDI (Leadership and Character Development Institute) to teach English and once a week we show a movie with English subtitles to help improve their listening and reading skills. The welcome we receive whenever we visit there always astounds me; the respect they give us is mind blowing! At other times during the week, we may pay several visits to the boys or girls dorm to help with their university work, chat, play sport or teach them songs.
I had a new student today who is currently in his third and final year at university, studying English. We began to work on the ‘Bible’ leaflet and he cottoned on immediately. Each time I explained a sentence, he repeated it in his own words, so I was reassured that he did understand! He had travelled 1 ½ hours on his bicycle to spend just an hour at the BEC. It was his first experience of using the Bible, and yet he took it completely in his stride. It was so special to see the sparkle in his eye as we talked about God’s truth. It is so satisfying teaching God’s word to people who have such enthusiasm for Him, Christ and our amazing hope. Each day is an exciting adventure, and as I step out onto the buzzing streets of Phnom Penh, I can feel Christ working everywhere, as we all prepare for his soon return. God is so good and I I pray we will each take the opportunities that God gives us to share His message.
Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!
Abi
Comments