This past week has seen us flying back into teaching after a week or so that was focused less on lessons and more on building relationships and (dare I say it) relaxing. This week we have also welcomed the arrival of Sister Abi from Adelaide who is gracing us with her presence for a couple of months. I am relieved to say that she seems to share the same sort of whacky personality that the BEC already houses, so she is fitting in quite nicely. Her arrival was nicely timed as Steve has been slightly denguefied this week and Abi has leapt right into things and been helping out with teaching and generally trying to get the hang of the busy schedule. Unfortunately she did miss the ‘party’ we had at the dorms on Saturday evening – a delicious dinner to officially welcome the girl-dormers and kick off the start of the university year. It was a good chance to chat to more of the dormers and start building relationships with people that I hope will one day be part of our family. I have started teaching some of the girl dormers three mornings a week which is pretty exciting and many of them are very switched on, asking lots of questions, and generally eager to know more. This week we focused mainly on the inspiration of the Bible, moving onto Bible truth next week. Many of the girls are also very excited by the fact that I can play the keyboard (as can Abi) and therefore we have started basic keyboard lessons for them, in the hope that they will be able to play at least the melody line of some praise songs by the end of the year. Along with this Abi and I are hoping we can start a praise group once a week, teaching new songs to a group whom I must say are all very enthusiastic singers, lack of perfect tonality not being a real problem. All in all we are really excited about all of our students and the many different ways that we can be teaching them about the hope of God.Sarah
Comments