Skip to main content

Supper Awesome Experiences!

When I decided to come to Cambodia I planned to stay here for three months. I did not want to book a return flight, however, just in case I found the work too difficult and wanted to come home earlier. I mentioned this to someone who had been here and they told me that it would be much more likely that once I was here I wouldn’t want to leave. I couldn’t believe how quickly this was proved to be right.

I have now been living at the Phnom Penh BEC for almost two months and have already extended my stay to a total of five months. If it were not for other commitments back home I would easily stay even longer, Cambodia is a truly incredible place. So far, my experience has been dramatically more amazing than I ever expected and it is difficult to fully explain the effect this country and the work here has had on me.

There is always so much happening here at the BEC. We have been running a baptism class with a group of boys from the dorms and we are confident that some of those boys will be getting baptised very soon, hopefully during this month. We also currently have two girl students who intend to get baptised in a week’s time. Although they are not my students they quickly became good friends of mine when I first arrived here and it is so exciting for me to see them taking this step! The whole of the Phnom Penh BEC staff (and a few students) are planning to take a bus down to Sihanoukville next weekend for the baptism, which is something I am eagerly awaiting! It will be great to visit the BEC there, help out with outreach, gain some new sisters and, of course, spend some time at the beach.

Besides the baptism classes everyone is very busy. We currently have four long-term fieldworkers staying at the BEC and one fieldworker visiting for three weeks. We are all teaching classes at the BEC six days a week as well as running weekly seminars on Saturday evenings at the dorms.

We are currently in the middle of planning a six-week grammar course set to begin at the beginning of next month. There will be three classes run twice daily every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday over six weeks. I am sure it is going to be a lot of work- each fieldworker must plan 18 1-hour lessons in advance- but we are anticipating an influx of new students to the BEC whom we hope will wish to continue studying here once their six-week course is complete. 

I came over here with no idea what the teaching would be like but it has turned out to be unexpectedly enjoyable. The students are so eager to learn and gladly stay long after their lesson is over to either learn more by joining other people’s classes or just to spend time playing games with us. Even though we have to get up early in the morning and teach for most of the day I find I never get tired of it- the enthusiasm of the students genuinely rubs off on you and almost every lesson is a blast. Not only are they great as students, always engaged and often asking insightful questions, but the people who come here have quickly become my good friends. They have shown me around their workplaces, taken me to watch their friends perform khmer singing, shared with me the best spots for cheap, delicious street food, taught me many khmer words and join me when
I go dancing in the evenings. Being so close to your students makes it even more exciting as you watch them develop from English students to Bible enthusiasts.

I want to finish this post with a specific story about one of these students. In the two months I have been here his development has been easily one of the best parts of my time in Cambodia. When I first arrived here I took on a class of four fairly low-level English students. Their lesson goes for three hours daily and when I began teaching them they requested that we study Bible for two hours and practice conversation for the last hour of each lesson. I was happy with this plan and that is what we began to do. After about three weeks I was teaching their class and after two hours had passed I said to them, “Should we stop this story there and start conversation now?” One of the boys replied and his answer is one of the highlights of my trip here.
“No, I think I just want to do three hours Bible from now on, I think it is more important.”
Since then it has been crazy watching his development. He is a super hard worker and has never missed a lesson- he is here for three hours, 6 days a week! He writes down everything I teach and studies it overnight, coming back the next day with the entire story memorized and the deeper meanings of the story understood. I have watched his English improve dramatically and his interest in the Bible grow the more he learns. He spent two hours writing a page long letter to the BEC, which said things like: “before I don’t know about God but now I know about God I will follow God” and “I want to explain next generation and people in Cambodia know about God.” I am genuinely so excited to teach him every day and I can’t wait to see his further improvements over the next three months of my stay!


Overall, the past two months I have spent here at the BEC have been an experience like no other. You often hear people rave about their experiences doing fieldwork but it wasn’t until I actually experienced it for myself that I realised how incredibly fulfilling it is. The BEC is a busy hub of hard working people and the students really love coming here. I am excited to see how the current students develop in the upcoming few months and interested to see how effective our new advertising strategies are.  

Ashleigh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe I'm just a girl

Well, dear Readers, Things have been busy here with preparation for our seminar this weekend. Catering, printing, emailing and phoning have been occupying our hours. James is sitting opposite me on the table working on his talks for Friday. We have had quite a number of bookings for our seminar and the numbers have only been limited by the size of our premises. God willing, all will attend and we’ll have a good two days of talks and chatting. We’re planning, God willing, a boat cruise as our social activity and that should be a blast since we can have a 2 hour cruise for 50 people for only $20. Have managed to hook up skype credit and tested a mobile call to Prydie. The 5 second lag meant it was like having two random monologues in the same room. The prices was fairly reasonable, but even as 3 cents a minute the cost climbs. James spends much time out on the balcony. He gets good wireless reception. It's quite a amusing to peek through the window and see James out on the balcony wa...
*hammok place over the mekong *me and gab cruzing the streets *us feastin on the food * jonno swar and sammie *lcdi students planting vegies at the lcdi garden we built for them *lcdi bikers planting dinner at the dorms - amazing feast - beaf lukluk and vermici noodles - yummy *helen and gary on way back to airport *rosie,samie and kylie at seinookville, watching sunset baptised dinner nicht at bec *dude sitting on rock * what do they get up to in cambodia seinookvile we went out to lcdi as sarah vogal is leaving back to nz after a 4 month stint in cambodia and 13months overseas doing mission work (good work sarah, we'll miss you), and lcdi did a special talent night for her when we got there there was a table with flowers all over it and chairs for us - it was so nice we had dudes being throw in the air doing backflips and traditional dancing and a fasion show which was diabolical (if thats a work ill use it, but i dont know what it means but it sound the right word to p...

God Proves the Power of Prayer Again and Again

Over the course of my five-month long Cambodia trip I had the opportunity to teach class es at the Bethezer girl dorm regularly . For th ese class es I have a translator so I just get to teach the good news ( none of this dilly-dallying about English teaching ). Our topic on this particular night was prayer. Philippians 4:6 reminded us that God is longing to hear from us just as a father lo ves to hear from his child or how we are just hanging out to get a message from someone we love. We looked at H is promises to answer ALL our prayers while we abide in Jesus Christ (John 15:7) and at Psalm 34:4 where God confidently affirms that when you find your happiness with God, H e will certainly give you more of what makes you happy (Him!). And you can pray for that happiness because God will give you anything that brings you closer to Him so never be afraid to ask! That is nothing but i ncredibly good news ! We raced through many more quotes and I had expected to strug...