One word comes to mind when I think of my time in Cambodia – ‘Sabbay’! I have had the most wonderful 24 days here in Phnom Pehn and I am equally sad to leave and excited that one day I might return.
Staying at BEC1 in Phnom Pehn I have seen the streets, learnt the language, eaten some strange smelly foods, attempted the Khmer Dance and have grown to love the brother and sisters. As a university student studying nursing and not a confident public speaker I was wary of my teaching skills when I first arrived. As each day came I taught a new class, sometimes one on one lessons and other times 40 students – and I loved it ! Not only did I love teaching the students about the Bible and God's plan for man, acting out English words and pronunciations and providing health lessons but I also loved what each student taught me. Every day I learnt something new either from a comment from the students or from the topics of conversation around the dinner table. I found a new energy for learning the word of God that I hope to share with others wherever I may go.
There were some amusing challenges during some of my lessons such as translation mix-ups; when explaining the difference between Gods character and and mans I explained how humans are naturally selfish individuals, my student turned to me and said "I know what that means teacher, you know like at the markets men catch and then sell the fish". A highlight for me was one student who had no previous understanding of the Bible or God when talking about Gods plan with man and the forgiveness He provides she turned to me and said "wow, He is an awesome man isnt He".
I had an awesome opportunity to visit BEC2 in Sihanoukville and to meet with the few brothers and sisters who live there. Not only is Sihanoukville a beautiful place for visiting the beach or the markets but the joy of the 9 brothers and sisters that met that Sunday was enough to fill the town. I pray the preaching efforts in Sihanoukville will continue to grow.
Visiting the dorms for seminars, singing lessons, and Bible lessons was another highlight of my time in Cambodia. Spending time with the young people who were also studying at university and having a good old laugh sharing nursing stories with the nursing students were some of my favourite moments. With just a difference in cultures and language it was so exciting to share stories with the dormers my age who were at the same stage of study at university. Though we might live an average of 7000km apart it is encouraging to meet those who have the same goals of study and same ultimate goal of the Kingdom.
From the minute I arrived to the minute I leave, I have loved Cambodia ! I hope the next time we all meet again will be in the Kingdom of God. Thank you all for the laughs, the khmer lessons, the icecream and for sharing your energy and joy in learning the Bible.
Mizpah (Genesis 31:49).
Elyssa
Comments
Love Jonno and Ren