The BEC in Phnom Penh could be
described as “hive of activity” after spending some time at the much quieter
BEC in Chiang Mai, and living and working in Solo, Indonesia for a number of
years. There is a long established ecclesia, Sunday school and youth group in
Solo, but not a lot of active preaching work due to the restraints on preaching
in the country.
When I arrived in
Phnom Penh on August 5th, I
was the only fieldworker in residence, there having been a mass exodus a week
or so before. However a few hours later, I was joined by seasoned Cambodia
workers Steve and Lynne, who helped me find my way to the local
supermarket etc.
A few days later, we were joined
by Sis Jackie Grieve, and the Barton family from QLD making 8 fieldworkers.
Tuesday morning we had our first
fieldworker meeting, and Bro Vitou told me I would teach 4 classes that day, so
it was “straight to work”. My students at the BEC were at various stages of
instruction, from complete beginner to
studying for baptism. Like all Asian students, they were wonderfully polite and
very diligent.
Each afternoon, I went to the
dormitory in Bro Tut’s tuk-tuk
to teach English and bible studies, usually accompanied by Sis Jackie. Once
again , our students were delightful and very keen.
The brothers, sisters and
fieldworkers in Cambodia are to be commended for their enthusiasm and
organizational skills in preaching God’s truth. Certainly it has borne fruit in
this country, and may they continue to be blessed.
Sister Faye
Comments