Skip to main content

Three weeks too short in Cambodia


The culture of our Cambodian mission is such a unique, vibrant and rewarding place to experience. How great is our God, the one true God.  When we put our faith and trust in Him the fruits of our life journeys will be blessed. The Cambodia mission is a brainchild of initiative churned with God’s love, dedicated servants and the exuberance of the Khmer youth creating an atmosphere where faith does thrive.

I was fortunate enough to be on my 2nd visit to Phnom Penh, the last being one and a half years ago for two weeks on my university holidays joining in on my parents' fieldworker trip. At this time there was an abundance of fieldworkers present at the BEC and I was content to sit back, observe and learn from the more experienced people around me to add to past mission experiences.  Not only to learn which style of teaching can be beneficial to a younger crowd but also learn how the organization, resources and management can be best juggled to make the most of the mission in Cambodia. I have been pondering on a few niche ideas I saw that could be beneficial here and other mission fields for the future.

I am currently studying in Europe, half way through my degree and until this summer holidays I only had spent four days in Australia (wedding) in the past two years. After having a much needed dose of home medicine I could only afford a three-week stay in Cambodia and I was very reluctant to leave.  I arrived to meet Jess and Luke busily managing all the classes and was relieved that there was much I could do to help out around the place.

In my first few days I was able to take the English class in the evenings and the Saturday Night Seminars. Also through my friend Sister Nirath, I was able to organize to spend a Monday to Friday in the Trauma Ward of a hospital I won’t mention the name of. This hospital is a government owned hospital and it was my first experience of a 3rd world hospital.

I currently study in Latvia and I would rate their hospitals 2nd world standard. I witnessed the sad truth of the poor conditions that a government with a lack of funding for healthcare can fall to. The hospital only caters for the poorest people who can’t afford more. The day would always start with a meeting of all the doctors and important nurses, the doctors would discuss the 2D plain X-rays of each patient and discuss their course of action. Then, as a group of ~15 people we would follow the head doctor like ducklings would follow their mother duck in our white coats inspecting each patient’s conditions and wounds. Then when the round had finished all would disperse to clean wounds and replace casts or go to surgery.

I had three fantastic days in surgery, two of which I got to scrub up and assist the surgeon. There are four surgery rooms and each only does 1 surgery per day. All the surgeries are paid for by NGO organizations.

I saw a man with a break of the lower 3rd of his humerus get the ends of his break sawn off and screwed together, now shortening his arm by at least 10cm. A man with a large leg ulcer get cut out, then a type of skin graft from healthy calf skin to cover that area, then the remaining hole tightly stitched together. And finally, a man with polio who had a tendon from a strong muscle of lateral calf attached to a tendon of a medial weaker muscle to give the man stability and ability to walk on that leg. Very, very interesting to experience.  These were also my first surgery experiences.

Many of the medical terms and language here are still in French. There are two universities that teach medicine here, one English speaking and one French but next year the French will change to English.  I believe that on the whole the medical staff manage well with the little they have. The two days I wasn’t in surgery I was in the ward helping the nurses clean wounds, take out stitches and take off and put on casts. From my short experience, the nurses' main role is to look after the wounds of patients and not so much the hygiene and welfare. This is where our great Sister Nirath was noted a while ago. She would care for her patients while she was a third -ear medical student helping not only medically and spiritually, but also financially with her own money for medications and treatments even though she doesn’t have much. A visiting western doctor noticed this and said he had connections with a charity group which now has a permanent place in the hospital providing one meal a day, patient washing and financial help for patients. All because of the love of Jesus Nirath showed, she will be an amazing doctor in the near future.

It seems the system has a kind of siesta after 11am. The surgeries would be finished and the wounds clean and bandaged. The doctors would disappear and the medicine and nursing students would go off to their universities so there would be nothing to do, so I luckily did not need the 5-days leave I asked for and could go back to the BEC and continue to help Jess and Luke in the afternoons. This was great because it allowed me to get into the swing of things as Jess and Luke were soon to leave back to Australia to a wedding for a week.

The weekend before they left, Luke and I were able to have some more intense baptism sessions with Savvy, a high school Chemistry teacher who lives out in a province outside Phnom Penh. He cannot travel in very often and now he has had his interview and soon will be baptized.  I also was able to have many lessons with Tut a man with a big heart from the dorms.   Soon also he will be ready. I am greatly looking forward to the news when these two brothers will be baptized.

As Luke and Jess left, my timetable became much busier. Weekdays up to 6 lessons per day starting with bible readings at the dorms at 6am, private and group bible lessons during the day and finishing with English class and Bible Study ending at 7pm. The new English lessons at the dorm are gaining in popularity as I was told it was originally 4 students but now ~10 are there every day. The added inclusion of a weekly quiz on Friday of the content covered that week and competitive English word games with lolly prizes helps the motivation to study harder and make it challenging and fun.  The weekend was less intense having a 2hr class Saturday and Sunday with a group who come to learn English via the Bible. Here I partially took to two students, Soumy and Kunthea, who had a keen interest to learn about the Bible. I also went to the Olympic Park with them to do their daily aerobic style exercise to music and hung out with them at City Mall after. Also, they joined me at the BEC on my day off for a guitar lesson.

The time I spent with these lovely people reminds me of a quote from one of my all time favourite movies Dances with Wolves, John Dunbar says: “They were a people so eager to laugh, so devoted to family, so dedicated to each other. The only word that comes to mind is harmony.”

I live in isolation away from regular contact with young Christadelphians in a cold and dark country that reflects many traits of the culture. Only once a year during my summer holidays do I get the time and chance to have fellowship with my family and friends. I feel so blessed that through God I got the opportunity not only to help the people learn and grow and build our friendships but also I was blessed in getting the intense injection of bible study, fellowship and love I am deprived with during my studies. I truly was reminded of what a glimpse of the Kingdom of God would be like with all the wonderful people in Cambodia. Also, I’m now addicted to drinking coconuts.

Love in the Lord,
Rowan

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you Rowan - for finding the time to write your inspirational thoughts. You have truly been a blessing to our spiritual family in Cambodia. We can only begin to imagine what a blessing it would have been to Nirath, to have your support ...she is, without a doubt, one of God's treasures. God bless - Steve and Lynne.
Anthony Simpson said…
It is good to have three more to think about Baptism.

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe I'm just a girl

Well, dear Readers, Things have been busy here with preparation for our seminar this weekend. Catering, printing, emailing and phoning have been occupying our hours. James is sitting opposite me on the table working on his talks for Friday. We have had quite a number of bookings for our seminar and the numbers have only been limited by the size of our premises. God willing, all will attend and we’ll have a good two days of talks and chatting. We’re planning, God willing, a boat cruise as our social activity and that should be a blast since we can have a 2 hour cruise for 50 people for only $20. Have managed to hook up skype credit and tested a mobile call to Prydie. The 5 second lag meant it was like having two random monologues in the same room. The prices was fairly reasonable, but even as 3 cents a minute the cost climbs. James spends much time out on the balcony. He gets good wireless reception. It's quite a amusing to peek through the window and see James out on the balcony wa...
*hammok place over the mekong *me and gab cruzing the streets *us feastin on the food * jonno swar and sammie *lcdi students planting vegies at the lcdi garden we built for them *lcdi bikers planting dinner at the dorms - amazing feast - beaf lukluk and vermici noodles - yummy *helen and gary on way back to airport *rosie,samie and kylie at seinookville, watching sunset baptised dinner nicht at bec *dude sitting on rock * what do they get up to in cambodia seinookvile we went out to lcdi as sarah vogal is leaving back to nz after a 4 month stint in cambodia and 13months overseas doing mission work (good work sarah, we'll miss you), and lcdi did a special talent night for her when we got there there was a table with flowers all over it and chairs for us - it was so nice we had dudes being throw in the air doing backflips and traditional dancing and a fasion show which was diabolical (if thats a work ill use it, but i dont know what it means but it sound the right word to p...

God Proves the Power of Prayer Again and Again

Over the course of my five-month long Cambodia trip I had the opportunity to teach class es at the Bethezer girl dorm regularly . For th ese class es I have a translator so I just get to teach the good news ( none of this dilly-dallying about English teaching ). Our topic on this particular night was prayer. Philippians 4:6 reminded us that God is longing to hear from us just as a father lo ves to hear from his child or how we are just hanging out to get a message from someone we love. We looked at H is promises to answer ALL our prayers while we abide in Jesus Christ (John 15:7) and at Psalm 34:4 where God confidently affirms that when you find your happiness with God, H e will certainly give you more of what makes you happy (Him!). And you can pray for that happiness because God will give you anything that brings you closer to Him so never be afraid to ask! That is nothing but i ncredibly good news ! We raced through many more quotes and I had expected to strug...