Skip to main content

A Cambodian Wedding Experience


So much of life is what you are used to. Wow – did that ever ring true for me on Saturday past when we attended the wedding of Sithy and Brendan! Several of us travelled up to Kampong Cham on Friday afternoon while another bus brought the dormers plus a few extras up to the village on Saturday morning. EARLY Saturday morning! The bus drivers valiantly battled the muddy trek into Sithy’s village (appreciating, I’m sure, the help of a few muscular young men when we got bogged!) and we arrived only slightly late, just in time for the fruit to be offered.

I appreciated all my Khmer friends who helped translate and explain what was going on during the day. Traditionally, the fruit was an offering from the groom to the bride’s family, representing his ability to provide for his new wife. The groom’s family and friends would help him carry the gift of fruit to the bride’s home and so as soon as we arrived at Sithy’s family home, we were handed plates and trays of fruit (and fruit drinks and fruit candies – slight variations on the old traditions, I guess!) and we walked back out the way we had come in. Once we were all arranged appropriately, with Brendan and his friends and family leading the parade, we walked back into the home. As we walked Saroun explained that traditionally, if there wasn’t enough fruit, the groom and his entourage would be turned away! Apparently there has to be 36 different kinds of fruit to be acceptable and Saroun assured me we would be fine. Thankfully!

The traditional wedding outfits were pretty remarkable. I admit that I lost count of how many changes the bride and groom, along with their wedding party, went through! Some of the Aussie guys in the wedding party had to be shoved into their jackets on a few occasions. Each outfit was brightly coloured, sparkly and very ornate. The girls’ hair was also a sight to behold, styled with incredible care and time.

We were served several meals during the day, catered by a hired company. After lunch many people wandered down to the Mekong River for a bit of a breeze – it was HOT all day!

The Khmer have the same brilliant idea as the Italians and for several hours in the afternoon most people who lived nearby went home for a siesta. Those of us who stayed also took part in the afternoon nap tradition: I found myself a comfy spot on the wooden slated floor of the house and slept alongside about 15 other people! It’s amazing that even when you’re lying still, with a fan blowing across you occasionally – it’s still hot!

As the afternoon meal (I think it was dinner, around 4:30pm) was served, the rains began their descent. And did the rain come! I think several Westerners seriously doubted the likelihood of the bus making it through the sand – mud – roads now. Of course, the Cambodians had no such doubts. They’re used to the torrential rain and aren’t ones to let a little rain ruin a good party!

The band was forced to stop because of the rain but at the first sign of the rain slowing down they started back up with gusto. Never in my life have I experienced such loud music!! If most Cambodians are hard of hearing, I’d blame their wedding celebrations. At one point Luke used an app on his phone to measure the volume and standing approximately ten metres away from the speakers it measured in at 98 decibels. For reference, 90 decibels is the level at which it’s considered dangerous for your ears, like machinery in a factory, and when it’s important to where protective ear pieces.  When the music started up, I could feel it vibrating in my chest, rattling my water bottle; the Cambodians loved it while we shoved tissues in our ears. At the very least, I’m sure we gave the Cambodians a good laugh :)

As the dancing got under way I had a go at some traditional Khmer dances. One of the traditional dance is a slow, three step dance which goes around an object placed in the centre, like a table. Along with the steps there are slow, hand weaving movements. With the help of Dy, Veasna and Soary (all of whom are enthusiastic dancers!) I managed to get the steps down, but I lost it whenever I tried to add the hand movements. It’s okay, though: I didn’t need a Cambodian wedding to help me realize that I can’t dance!

It was a bit of a hazardous journey out to the bus, but most of us managed. Poor Potty... he almost made it ;) “Covered in mud” hardly does the description of our feet and shoes justice! As a final act, we fit 19 people in a 14 seat bus.

What a day it was! Several times the unlikeliness of it all really hit me. Here I was, in a remote jungle village – in Cambodia! – taking part in the celebrations of a traditional Khmer wedding. How great is God’s Truth! How big and how encompassing! It really is a loving Father who calls people from all over the world to Himself, so that ‘His ways may be known on earth and His salvation among all nations.’ I feel so blessed to have been able to share in Brendan and Sithy’s Cambodian wedding day. It’s another reminder that our God is so big and He has such big plans with the earth – and that is good news.

May His name endure forever;
may it continue as long as the sun.
Then all nations will be blessed through Him,
and they will call Him blessed.
 Psalm 72:17

Rachel

Comments

Anonymous said…
thanks for the blog Jess, really enjoyed reading it. sounds like you guys are having fun and doing a great job. love Jonno and Ren

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe I'm just a girl

Well, dear Readers, Things have been busy here with preparation for our seminar this weekend. Catering, printing, emailing and phoning have been occupying our hours. James is sitting opposite me on the table working on his talks for Friday. We have had quite a number of bookings for our seminar and the numbers have only been limited by the size of our premises. God willing, all will attend and we’ll have a good two days of talks and chatting. We’re planning, God willing, a boat cruise as our social activity and that should be a blast since we can have a 2 hour cruise for 50 people for only $20. Have managed to hook up skype credit and tested a mobile call to Prydie. The 5 second lag meant it was like having two random monologues in the same room. The prices was fairly reasonable, but even as 3 cents a minute the cost climbs. James spends much time out on the balcony. He gets good wireless reception. It's quite a amusing to peek through the window and see James out on the balcony wa...
*hammok place over the mekong *me and gab cruzing the streets *us feastin on the food * jonno swar and sammie *lcdi students planting vegies at the lcdi garden we built for them *lcdi bikers planting dinner at the dorms - amazing feast - beaf lukluk and vermici noodles - yummy *helen and gary on way back to airport *rosie,samie and kylie at seinookville, watching sunset baptised dinner nicht at bec *dude sitting on rock * what do they get up to in cambodia seinookvile we went out to lcdi as sarah vogal is leaving back to nz after a 4 month stint in cambodia and 13months overseas doing mission work (good work sarah, we'll miss you), and lcdi did a special talent night for her when we got there there was a table with flowers all over it and chairs for us - it was so nice we had dudes being throw in the air doing backflips and traditional dancing and a fasion show which was diabolical (if thats a work ill use it, but i dont know what it means but it sound the right word to p...

God Proves the Power of Prayer Again and Again

Over the course of my five-month long Cambodia trip I had the opportunity to teach class es at the Bethezer girl dorm regularly . For th ese class es I have a translator so I just get to teach the good news ( none of this dilly-dallying about English teaching ). Our topic on this particular night was prayer. Philippians 4:6 reminded us that God is longing to hear from us just as a father lo ves to hear from his child or how we are just hanging out to get a message from someone we love. We looked at H is promises to answer ALL our prayers while we abide in Jesus Christ (John 15:7) and at Psalm 34:4 where God confidently affirms that when you find your happiness with God, H e will certainly give you more of what makes you happy (Him!). And you can pray for that happiness because God will give you anything that brings you closer to Him so never be afraid to ask! That is nothing but i ncredibly good news ! We raced through many more quotes and I had expected to strug...