
Alright i think its time to share the wedding celebration with you all.
We all crammed into a van early in the morning and drove for hours to a little provincial fishing town where our beloved Ren grew up.
Upon arrival (after a couple of stops and getting a little lost) we stepped/fell out of the van to behold a village of quaint proportions. It possessed great appeal due to a simple but functioning community of farmers and fishermen. Small grass thatched homes, some rendered brick and a long stream snaking its way through the village filled with rubbish. there were hammocks and coconut trees everywhere. It's deserving perhaps of the ironic title "a Poverty Stricken Paradise"

We were ushered to the home of Ren's parents who immediately made us welcome by offering us a seat. Opposed to what we felt like doing (stretching our legs) we obliged their hospitality gratefully.
I managed to sneak away and see the village and greet Jonno and Ren. Jonno was in dire need of a shave. I whipped out my trusty electric shaver which i packed for just that occasion and got to work.
We walked to a volley ball court where we watched a game (as groom and best man we were not allowed to participate). All too soon it was time to try on our first outfits Woohoo! we went to the dressing room and we were presented with outfits of stunning colour and embellishment. I had three concerns…
1. they were safety pinning a purple nappy to me
2. i was too big for any of the clothes by a good 50%
3. I WAS WEARING A HOT PINK BLAZER!!
I decided i would get through this ordeal if only for my love for Jonno and Ma (Ren). The first custom initiated. We were ushered outside and Emily (maid of honour) and I were handed each an umbrella (FYI it was a hot, dry, windy day). After exchanging perplexed looks emm and i decided to go along with it. We were arranged as you can see in the picture behind the bride and groom.
We received revelation that the umbrellas were for shade! now it made sense… but wait we are under a tarp!…. it could be a good wind breaker but i didn't chance it. The wind tried to steal our umbrellas and Emm's brolly wanted to stab my eye out. We got through it in good spirits.
We posed for a good 30 mins for photos with all the family and villagers who wanted to be involved. Finally we could release the white knuckle grips we had on the umbrellas. Oh whats this? A big silver bowl of water you would like me to hold for another eon? brill! ;) The bowl of water and hibiscus was for everyone to (customarily) pretend to cut jonno and RENs hair and then they would Take a hibiscus branch from my bowl and flick water at them then squirt overwhelming amounts of a strong smelling perfume on all of us. Haha it was a hoot!
We retired to the house and had more photos (there where cameras going off all the time an we had to pose for all of them).
We changed back to regular clothes for a bit (goodbye pink suit!!!) and I snuck away for a while to sit with the musicians which where fantastic! I was told in Khmer (assisted by interpretative dance) that I should go and bless the married couple by giving them money and tying red string around their wrists... Oh and splashing them with water again.
After that ceremony we got to chill and I went back to the musicians with Morris (Our cooks young son who latched onto me for the day) I was taught how to play a special upright two stringed violin and I played along with an instrument that resembles a dulsuma. After a short while we had an amused crowd watching and laughing when I missed a note on the confusing pentatonic scale. Eventually the other musicians came back and I left them to do their repetitious thing.
We wondered off to one of the homes close by with some locals and slept on a bench under the house for a while. Vithou and Jonno got some coconuts from a nearby tree and we had some delicious coconut water and rested some more.
All too soon it was time to go back to the wedding and have "breakfast" at 11:00 am. I was not feeling too fantastic, due to a couple of days gastronomical issues (which i shall not bore you with) so I chose not to eat. I hadn't eaten since breakfast the day before but i still didn't feel like eating.
It was not too long until I was asked to become a cross dresser again and I dreaded what was to come. To my surprise I did not have to wear a nappy!!! Just some white trousers that were a little snug and more than a little short. They tore down the seams of the pants for me. I had a white suit coat and a red ruffle. This was much nicer than the pink suit.
So... More photos, more ceremonial events and more water splashing. After some fun silly photos and shinannigins we changed back to normal clothes again and went back to the house to rest.
We chilled for half an hour or so and went back to dress into the dinner costume which was quit wonderful as it was just my good black trousers, white shirt and a gold high buttoned blazer. Once again the sleeves where too short but who's complaining? I get to wear pants!!
Jonno and I snuck off to the rice fields and chased water buffalo for a while and I got some cool shots.

We called the bridal party out to the fields because it was so beautiful and I asked Vithou to take the photos for us (he did very well).
It was dinner time! I hadn't eaten for almost two days and It smelt so very good! They had cooked up the 120kg pig that Jonno killed and butchered (with some help from the pros). Ren's dad is a fisherman so there were fresh battered tiger prawns and green pawpaw salad.
But wait... We had to stand in the entrance way and greet everyone of the hundreds of guests. We bow and say chum-reup-sewer which is a very respectful greeting. This went on for hours...
Dinner finally! Oh hang on we must get changed into the cake cutting costumes (just the white outfit again except Jonno gets pink lining this time). We wait for the girls to have their hair and makeup done and we push through the crowd. Jonno and I are force fed beer by the drunk (and not to be offended) uncles. Not just beer but warm canned beer and we were not to sip but to scull the can in one and hand it back to the uncle and thank him (akun lo poo).
We dance around the 5 tear cake blasted by base from some speakers that would shame Lady Gaga. There's more shouting and bowing and whatnot. The bouquet is thrown and then we have to go home.
I'm told the BEC buss wanted to leave so grab your gear get changed and meet at the buss. So away I run whilst chugging more cans from strong gripped drunk uncles in the crowd. I finally manage to get to the bus.
To my great relief Loy (one of my favourite Khmer BEC girls had saved some food for Emily and I phew! Room temp prawns are better than nothing. We drove home for 3 hours, slept some of the way and went straight to bed.
Im sorry if that was a bit too long but there was a lot to tell.
Now upon reading this it might appear that i had a bad time.. i would like to assure you that it was an experience of a life time and i loved every second.

Keep posted because next story is "The Nest of Monkeys!!! (that like to kill kittens)
Grace, Love, Peace
& God Bless
Steve



Comments
Love Jonno and Ren