Skip to main content

See moh-an

Some of our more avid readers may remember that Vitou & Dany got married a few weeks back and we mentioned it in a previous post. Well, since then they have had another 2 celebrations! The first was a Christian wedding in PP, the second was a traditional Khmer/Buddhist wedding, at the insistence of her father, at her parents house in the Province and then the weekend of the 8th Jan was a party at his parents house. They asked me to photograph the Christian and this one, but this time I only had my manual camera and for the first time in a long time I took about 40 pictures before realising I hadn't got any film in! Flip! Thankfully, I got another two films worth so there should be enough.

So, the party basically consisted of continuous eating and dancing. They invited over 1000 people who came and went during the two days! Mental. For the first time I ate chicken feet, which was nice but largely because it was barbecued. My name, unfortunately, sounds a bit like the Khmer phrase 'See moh-an' which means 'eat chicken like an animal' so there was plenty of jokes as I was gnawing away. It's easier to eat chicken feet when everyone else is doing it as if it is the most normal thing in the world, which to them is actually is, and when it is barbecued because the meat/skin comes of easily. When it is boiled it tends to be rather more chewy and is actually, I'd imagine, like eating the stretchy bit of skin on your elbow. I didn't get chance to try a chicken head, because these were snatched up pretty quickly. Needless to say, I wasn't too gutted (although the chicken was and I probably unbeknownst to me, ate some).

Dancing was ace, it was a mixture of traditional Khmer music and Khmer drum and base! Traditional music has a traditional style of dance which is slowly going round in a circle standing next to someone and doing a step routine and then twisting your hands over and over...and over. It's pretty easy to pick-up but they are still impressed when a foreigner joins in. The drum and base was amusing, cause they love it but have no idea how to dance to it, so when I was throwing my shapes everyone thought I was some sort of dancing guru! An impression I didn't try and downplay, as you can imagine.

The music is very loud, so everyone has to stay awake until it finishes because there is noway you will get sleep while it is still going on. It went on till about 12.30 which is quite early for a Khmer wedding, I've heard tales of 3 or 4am. Anyway, I went to sleep in at Saory's house up the road and village beds are basically wood with a mat on it and it was cold, so I didn't get much sleep at all and when I finally did, I got woken by the music starting again at about 5am!

It was great fun, but they were doing two nights of it! Which is just too much of a good thing, so a few of us made our excuses and came home.

In other news, Terry & Karen Nutter came to ease the workload for a couple of weeks and it was great to have them around. They have since left and we have seen the return of the Bartons (Warren, Jeannie & Rowan) and the Alms (Bong Tom, Lynne, Dan, Alyce & Charlie). Also Brendan Rogers has made an appearance. Very good to have them around with new ideas. Dan, Alyce & Charlie are leaving tomorrow, sadly and Brendan on Tuesday.

GB,

Simon

Comments

Anonymous said…
thanks mate that was good. your a good egg see mworn. may God continue to bless you mate.

da ming swar

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe I'm just a girl

Well, dear Readers, Things have been busy here with preparation for our seminar this weekend. Catering, printing, emailing and phoning have been occupying our hours. James is sitting opposite me on the table working on his talks for Friday. We have had quite a number of bookings for our seminar and the numbers have only been limited by the size of our premises. God willing, all will attend and we’ll have a good two days of talks and chatting. We’re planning, God willing, a boat cruise as our social activity and that should be a blast since we can have a 2 hour cruise for 50 people for only $20. Have managed to hook up skype credit and tested a mobile call to Prydie. The 5 second lag meant it was like having two random monologues in the same room. The prices was fairly reasonable, but even as 3 cents a minute the cost climbs. James spends much time out on the balcony. He gets good wireless reception. It's quite a amusing to peek through the window and see James out on the balcony wa...
*hammok place over the mekong *me and gab cruzing the streets *us feastin on the food * jonno swar and sammie *lcdi students planting vegies at the lcdi garden we built for them *lcdi bikers planting dinner at the dorms - amazing feast - beaf lukluk and vermici noodles - yummy *helen and gary on way back to airport *rosie,samie and kylie at seinookville, watching sunset baptised dinner nicht at bec *dude sitting on rock * what do they get up to in cambodia seinookvile we went out to lcdi as sarah vogal is leaving back to nz after a 4 month stint in cambodia and 13months overseas doing mission work (good work sarah, we'll miss you), and lcdi did a special talent night for her when we got there there was a table with flowers all over it and chairs for us - it was so nice we had dudes being throw in the air doing backflips and traditional dancing and a fasion show which was diabolical (if thats a work ill use it, but i dont know what it means but it sound the right word to p...

God Proves the Power of Prayer Again and Again

Over the course of my five-month long Cambodia trip I had the opportunity to teach class es at the Bethezer girl dorm regularly . For th ese class es I have a translator so I just get to teach the good news ( none of this dilly-dallying about English teaching ). Our topic on this particular night was prayer. Philippians 4:6 reminded us that God is longing to hear from us just as a father lo ves to hear from his child or how we are just hanging out to get a message from someone we love. We looked at H is promises to answer ALL our prayers while we abide in Jesus Christ (John 15:7) and at Psalm 34:4 where God confidently affirms that when you find your happiness with God, H e will certainly give you more of what makes you happy (Him!). And you can pray for that happiness because God will give you anything that brings you closer to Him so never be afraid to ask! That is nothing but i ncredibly good news ! We raced through many more quotes and I had expected to strug...