Hi all
It’s been a while but I thought I would write a quick blog to let everyone know how awesome Kampuchea is. I arrived in this wonderful country on the 26th of December, to be greeted by my beautiful fiancé, who gave me the keys to the moto and we were off on another whirl wind adventure. My family has never really celebrated Christmas, we were given kids camps not presents, but if we were the present giving types, this would have been the best Christmas present EVER! It had been 353 days since I had been with Ren. It was a blessing to be back.
The bible school started on the next day, the 27th, with a memorial meeting at the dorms in three different languages, followed by a delicious dinner, followed by an introduction to all the speakers, Tim Galbraith from India, Shane Kirkwood from Aussie land and Mr Raju Devis from India/New Zealand/Australia. It was good to see all the Vietnamese Brothers and Sisters again, Raju made a point through the bible school, that even though these brothers and sisters can’t speak English or Khmer or to a limited degree, we still manage to be good friends. We still spend time laughing and joking together, we still spend time praying and praising our gracious father together. Shane said this is because it’s not where you come from that matters, your background, skin colour, language or culture that matters, it’s where you’re going. The 7 nationalities represented at the Phnom Penh Bible school 2011 had that in common, we’re all going to the same place, may it be God’s will that we spend eternity together.
We had many activities through the bible school, and this blog would be very long if I spoke about all of them in detail, so I’ll summarise a few of my highlights:
- The boat trip spending time with all the brothers and sisters cruising down the tonle sap (some of the sisters cooked this chicken that is out of this world, A-MAZ-ING, yummy)
- The song and praise night, singing this is the day in 3 different languages and watching the dormers do a play about not partaking in the pleasures of this life
- The cultural night – Raju and Dan Green did the HAKA representing NZ. Raju took of his shirt, a few of the girl dormers fainted and are still seeing psychologists. Quite a shock.
- THE STUDIES! Shane, Tim and Raju were all excellent, some of the studies were the answering of a prayer for some people.
But all things must come to an end, good and bad, and saying goodbye was certainly not a highlight. The Vietnamese went first. Our prayers go with them.
After the bible I went out to the provinces with Ren, staying at her parents house to the South West of Phnom Penh near the beach. That was really fun. Ren, her older brother and his wife and 2 kids and I all went out to Koh Bour which means snake island one day. The only way to get to this island at the moment is by boat, so it’s still pretty much an untouched paradise, it was absolutely stunning, we had a little coal fire and cooked some prawns and squid over it. I’ve never eaten such nice sea food. It really surprised me, they were freshly caught, and eaten still hot and were so delicious. There was also an old lady who lived on the island got talking to me and Ren, and because I spoke Khmer she thought at first I was an albino Khmer. I thought that was a little bit funny.
We had many other exciting adventures (one of which was me trying to take Ren on a romantic row boat ride, but the Khmer row boat and the western row boat is like Chalk and cheese, eventually I got the hang of it but I think at the start I looked like a bit of a clown, all the locals in the village kept going “barang jet chi toot” which means “the French foreigner knows how to row a boat?”, they thought it was pretty funny.
But just like the bible school all things come to an end, and today was my last day in Kampuchea. It’s very hard to leave. I’m looking forward to the day when I don’t have to. Now I am somewhere above Indonesia, writing this blog on the plane, as I head back to the western world. I’m still Carrying Kampuchea around with me in my thoughts, my heart and my prayers. Please pray for the work happening there, there is so much work to do. May God Bless the field workers, western and local, putting their efforts into spreading the Gospel of Christs return in Kampuchea, and the whole world.
Som Preah Brotene Po (God Bless)
Jonno Nutter
Comments