There is a sound that slowly, over time, I have come to resent: the sound of the alarm that wakes Deb and I up at 5.05am on most days. When that strumming, cheerful tune cuts through my sleep, my first thought is usually one of resentment. I spring out of bed (okay, using a little poetic licence here..) and try to avoid the gaping maw of a yawning Deb. I'm often the first person downstairs and as I'm unlocking the door the cool freshness of the morning hits me, I'm rejuvenated and I love it! The light touching the clouds with hints of pink and
orange, the city still so quiet, the breeze gently rustling through the palm tree next door. A perfect moment of peace in an otherwise noisy and frantic day. Then I feel grateful that I've been able to witness another beautiful morning in Phnom Penh. Most of the fieldworkers then head to the dorm via tuk tuk where we are always greeted with happy smiles and numerous calls of "sok sabay?" before getting into classes. Getting up early is definitely worth it!!
We had more greetings with happy smiles a few days ago. With much love and delight (the sort of greeting that was not given to Mr Morning Peel) we welcomed Johnny and Melinda, both of whom are very excited to be here again!! They had to hit the ground running with Johnny presenting a series of five talks on the book of Revelation. As mentioned in the last blog, it was a full on weekend and definitely fun! Both Johnny and Melinda had put in a lot of effort and preparation, it was much appreciated and well received.
Due to all the rooms at the BEC currently being occupied, Johnny and Melinda have opted to take up residence on one of the balconies with mattress, mosquito net and a lovely view of the stars! It was a decision that they did not regret.. right up until the massive storm hit on Sunday night and they got washed, literally, into the house and the Hewitt's foyer. No wonder they don't want to leave.
Theung's baptism on Saturday night was a really special and moving occasion. You could tell how much it meant to her and the ecclesia here!
2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
Another occasion of great joy took place a few days ago; we celebrated the birth of Miss Deborah May Collins!! What a champion and general dinky die sheila that girl is! She has accomplished many wonderful things in her time here: accumulating the most number of nicknames (Sticks and Fangga being amongst the most prominent), being told on a daily basis just how white and beautiful her skin is, a really nice burn from a moto exhaust on her calf muscle (all healed now with no scar!), wonderful pronunciation of all Khmer words (not a twang of the Aussie accent makes its way through..), teacher's pet in Khmer writing class, head tea towel washer, deputy assistant to the chief ice maker (me) and the highest accolade of all, reaching the level of a sister to Dan and thereby sharing the brunt of Dan's brotherly jokes "how old are those stones?" (my particular and heartfelt thanks for sharing the load!!) Happy 22nd birthday Deb!!
Preparations are well underway for the marriage of Vitou and Dany which is taking place on Sunday at the dorms. Everyone is really excited and looking forward to it! Please pray for God's blessing on their marriage.
Until next time, "good night, good dream".
With Love in the Lord,
Esther
Comments
the Ming
Anne and I are still coming to terms with western affluence, after returning from Cambo. I've watched the movie "The Killing Fields" since we got back, and shed a few tears for Cambodia. The movie portrays a painful yet heart warming true story, which helps to explain why Cambodia is what it is today.
We really miss everyone in PP - the BEC'ers, the Dormers, (and even you Deb!) May God bless Theung in her new life, and Vitou and Dani in theirs also.
Love to all, John & Anne