Contents
Intro
First experiences teaching
Teaching at LCDI
Teaching at dorms
Teaching at BEC
The people
Ren's Baptism
First Experiences Teaching My first experiences teaching here were mixed. The students all so eager to learn and yet there was the language barrier and getting used to teaching the leaflets and other courses. Teaching the large groups was very difficult to start with as needed translator. Having little time to prepare for lessons was a new experience. Had to learn how to be adaptable and change my approach depending on situation. I quickly learnt that the cambodians love to understand the meaning of words and concepts. To start with the teaching was extremely rewarding and draining. It was good to be able to sit in in other peoples lessons and learn from the other teachers. Teaching at LCDI The LCDI students are a true joy to teach. After watching the other Fieldworkers teaching the first thursday it was my turn (second thursday). I thought about what would be the most useful thing for the students to learn. I knew the very thing. 'How to learn effectively'. I did a presentation on it based on the many techniques and strategies I have learned about over the years. The best way to teach is to learn and the best way to learn is to teach. This created a lot of amusement when the students found themselves titled the teachers and myself the student. When presenting I asked them many questions and explained important concepts when necessary. They were extremely responsive to this approach. The following week I taught them about Joseph. Using the story not only to teach them valuable morals and strategy but also to teach them the value of listening and respect. Something that they seemed to not have learned. They used to read over the top of each other. Listening is very important for learning an idea they will no doubt forever remember. LCDI sunday school is one of my favourite classes. A room full of eager students to learn bible stories. I though deep and hard about the best way to teach them. My Ruth series has turned into a great success. The excitement of learning such a great story mounting week by week. They always want to know what is going to happen next to which I reply you must come next week. The bikers (bike from LCDI two times per week) also are one of my favorite classes. They are so full of life and energy. The biggest challenge has been the language barrier. Which I have been given a solution to for next lesson thanks to Jonno Nutter. They also invite me to social events formal or informal which is a great chance to build relationships and have a bit of a breather from the more energy draining work that there always is so much of. Teaching the dormers
This tends to be an interesting very full on occassion for me. Preparing something good in a very limited time frame to present to many people through a translator is perhaps the most energy intensive work I have done here. Especially to start with I found teaching through a translator very full on. I have been very selective about what I have taught teaching only what I felt was the most valuable. I have had the opportunity to run a team building games session with them which was fun for everyone. One of my biggest regrets is that I don't spend enough time at the dorm. Marvin on the other hand seems to be over there every chance he can get. Which is really good. Building strong relationships is very important on the mission field if you are to have much influence for good. My main focus with the dormers is in building relationships with learning from and teaching the older dormers and ecclessial members the key knowledge and skills necessary for leadership. Teaching at BEC Most of my teaching is done at the BEC. The Bible Education Centre is where most of the sleeping, teaching, eating, and
socializing takes place atleast for me. It is always fun to play with Michael and Miriam's kids as a break from working. Michael and Miriam's kids are a real asset to the BEC as the cambodians love children. One of the biggest challenges teaching at the BEC inititially was the sometimes irregularity of students attendance. I have since learnt not to worry too much as they have very busy lives. If at all possible I recommend getting a cellphone setup as soon as possible if you come to cambodia as a fieldworker. Give your cellphone number to your students and encourage them to let you know when they can't come and ring them when they don't turn up. Is an important part of follow up and retention. I love the BEC its a great place to live.
The People
The most attractive thing about cambodia to me is the people. They have really good attitudes and a great sense of humour. I think the west could learn a lot from the cambodians maybe more then we can teach them.
Baptism's
I have had the pleasure of witnessing two baptisms since coming here 4 weeks ago. It brings such a joy to all of our hearts to see the brothers and sisters growing and then committing their lives to the Lord.

Intro
First experiences teaching
Teaching at LCDI
Teaching at dorms
Teaching at BEC
The people
Ren's Baptism
First Experiences Teaching My first experiences teaching here were mixed. The students all so eager to learn and yet there was the language barrier and getting used to teaching the leaflets and other courses. Teaching the large groups was very difficult to start with as needed translator. Having little time to prepare for lessons was a new experience. Had to learn how to be adaptable and change my approach depending on situation. I quickly learnt that the cambodians love to understand the meaning of words and concepts. To start with the teaching was extremely rewarding and draining. It was good to be able to sit in in other peoples lessons and learn from the other teachers. Teaching at LCDI The LCDI students are a true joy to teach. After watching the other Fieldworkers teaching the first thursday it was my turn (second thursday). I thought about what would be the most useful thing for the students to learn. I knew the very thing. 'How to learn effectively'. I did a presentation on it based on the many techniques and strategies I have learned about over the years. The best way to teach is to learn and the best way to learn is to teach. This created a lot of amusement when the students found themselves titled the teachers and myself the student. When presenting I asked them many questions and explained important concepts when necessary. They were extremely responsive to this approach. The following week I taught them about Joseph. Using the story not only to teach them valuable morals and strategy but also to teach them the value of listening and respect. Something that they seemed to not have learned. They used to read over the top of each other. Listening is very important for learning an idea they will no doubt forever remember. LCDI sunday school is one of my favourite classes. A room full of eager students to learn bible stories. I though deep and hard about the best way to teach them. My Ruth series has turned into a great success. The excitement of learning such a great story mounting week by week. They always want to know what is going to happen next to which I reply you must come next week. The bikers (bike from LCDI two times per week) also are one of my favorite classes. They are so full of life and energy. The biggest challenge has been the language barrier. Which I have been given a solution to for next lesson thanks to Jonno Nutter. They also invite me to social events formal or informal which is a great chance to build relationships and have a bit of a breather from the more energy draining work that there always is so much of. Teaching the dormersThis tends to be an interesting very full on occassion for me. Preparing something good in a very limited time frame to present to many people through a translator is perhaps the most energy intensive work I have done here. Especially to start with I found teaching through a translator very full on. I have been very selective about what I have taught teaching only what I felt was the most valuable. I have had the opportunity to run a team building games session with them which was fun for everyone. One of my biggest regrets is that I don't spend enough time at the dorm. Marvin on the other hand seems to be over there every chance he can get. Which is really good. Building strong relationships is very important on the mission field if you are to have much influence for good. My main focus with the dormers is in building relationships with learning from and teaching the older dormers and ecclessial members the key knowledge and skills necessary for leadership. Teaching at BEC Most of my teaching is done at the BEC. The Bible Education Centre is where most of the sleeping, teaching, eating, and
socializing takes place atleast for me. It is always fun to play with Michael and Miriam's kids as a break from working. Michael and Miriam's kids are a real asset to the BEC as the cambodians love children. One of the biggest challenges teaching at the BEC inititially was the sometimes irregularity of students attendance. I have since learnt not to worry too much as they have very busy lives. If at all possible I recommend getting a cellphone setup as soon as possible if you come to cambodia as a fieldworker. Give your cellphone number to your students and encourage them to let you know when they can't come and ring them when they don't turn up. Is an important part of follow up and retention. I love the BEC its a great place to live. The People
The most attractive thing about cambodia to me is the people. They have really good attitudes and a great sense of humour. I think the west could learn a lot from the cambodians maybe more then we can teach them.
Baptism's
I have had the pleasure of witnessing two baptisms since coming here 4 weeks ago. It brings such a joy to all of our hearts to see the brothers and sisters growing and then committing their lives to the Lord.
Comments
part of what dissapeared is that I am the Author.
My name is Robin Hughes from New Zealand