Now this one I just have to write about. We have a group of 6 contacts who are all studying IT in the same class at university. The first came to us by invitation from his brother then he brought 5 of his classmates.
Just the other day they all turned up on our doorstep with an assignment in hand. Through the course of our previous discussions they had found out that Michael and I were in the IT industry. They had come for advice however it turns out that advice was not what they were looking for. They were actually looking for us to do their assignment and then pick it up in two days time. HA! Not likely! After explaining to them the moral issues we were facing we then told them that they would be still unemployable when they graduate because they still won’t know anything. Eventually we agreed that they would try to do the assignment first and then we would help them with anything they could not understand.
But that’s not the best of it. During our lengthy discussion they asked if I knew how to write computer programs, of which I responded “yes”. Suddenly one leaned forward and asked with excitement “Can you teach me how to write a computer virus?” And the conversation continued as follows.
James: “Now why do you want know how to write a virus?”
Contact: “To make money.”
James: “And how are you going to make money?”
Contact: “I will write a virus and send it via the Internet then I will sell the program which removes it.”
James: “In Australia you can get into big trouble for that. The government will even put you in jail!”
Contact: “Oh wow! Why?”
James: “Because it is immoral.”
Contact: “Hmmm… Ok, I want to put it on my friend’s computer and then get him to pay me the money.”
So, who wants to be this guy’s friend?! I think the next time they come for a Bible lesson we will start by looking at the lesson “Love thy neighbour.”
Just the other day they all turned up on our doorstep with an assignment in hand. Through the course of our previous discussions they had found out that Michael and I were in the IT industry. They had come for advice however it turns out that advice was not what they were looking for. They were actually looking for us to do their assignment and then pick it up in two days time. HA! Not likely! After explaining to them the moral issues we were facing we then told them that they would be still unemployable when they graduate because they still won’t know anything. Eventually we agreed that they would try to do the assignment first and then we would help them with anything they could not understand.
But that’s not the best of it. During our lengthy discussion they asked if I knew how to write computer programs, of which I responded “yes”. Suddenly one leaned forward and asked with excitement “Can you teach me how to write a computer virus?” And the conversation continued as follows.
James: “Now why do you want know how to write a virus?”
Contact: “To make money.”
James: “And how are you going to make money?”
Contact: “I will write a virus and send it via the Internet then I will sell the program which removes it.”
James: “In Australia you can get into big trouble for that. The government will even put you in jail!”
Contact: “Oh wow! Why?”
James: “Because it is immoral.”
Contact: “Hmmm… Ok, I want to put it on my friend’s computer and then get him to pay me the money.”
So, who wants to be this guy’s friend?! I think the next time they come for a Bible lesson we will start by looking at the lesson “Love thy neighbour.”
Comments