
As always, there was a glitch. Our main toilet on the ground floor started regurgitating its contents before the sessions even began and we had to hastily block the door for the whole day till the landlady could get it fixed. Thus we had troops of people using our private bathrooms, which was fine except for the fact that Cambodians seem to think that after one has finished one’s ablutions one must thoroughly spray the toilet and surrounding area with water. Muddy tiles, wet bottoms and footprints down the hall!
Inconvenience aside, the sessions seemed to be well received and the catering was well-organised (thank you Miriam) and tasty. After the last session on Saturday Chris, Karen, Toby and I took a tuk tuk to Lucky Supermarket to buy soft drinks for the following boat cruise. We picked up Terry on the way (he’d gone to get cash out) and he manfully carried most of the drinks along the riverfront till we found the boat.
In the meantime, James and Michael were organizing all the contacts to be transported to the riverside and had completely forgotten about Terry till I rang to inform them that he had accompanied us. Once everyone had arrived, Michael and I rushed off in a mostly fruitless search for boiled corncob vendors. The dash down the boulevard and back yielded only eight cobs so we commissioned two young men on their moto to buy more while we boarded.
To say the cruise was enjoyable would be an understatement. A light breeze off the
Spending our time socially with the contacts, which included a large group of LCDI kids, was immensely enjoyable and entertaining. We would sit and be encircled by several people interested in
Weary but happy, we ambled off the boat to gather on the esplanade and arrange transportation home. I bargained for a tuk tuk and Karen, Terry, Chris, Ron and I crammed into it. It was a small tuk tuk. I sat on the arm, hanging precariously off the side for the whole trip – most uncomfortable. Arriving back at the flat we realized we were locked out. Happily, the landlady had our key and in the prior hours had got the toilet fixed.
I was exhausted. The next morning I could not even get out of bed. I was suffering from a recurrence of my previous bout of the flu and exhausted from pushing myself to help prepare for the seminar. I ended up staying in bed, coughing and sniffing, with a mild temperature and massive congestion for the next few days. Sadly this meant I missed out on the rest of the weekend and spending more time with the Nutters and Hills. James looked after me very well and I was able to hear the lower room talks from the bedroom – when I wasn’t sleeping. Happily, I was able to participate in the breaking of bread we had on the Monday night.
Apart from my illness, the weekend went swimmingly and we now have some more private session with new contacts to factor into our time. It was encouraging and heartening to have visitors from
Comments